The Brothers Josephu

The Brothers Josephu
Young Josef at work...circa 1917

Friday, May 16, 2014

Always something turns up!

I received from very interesting news from my cousin, Georg, in Vienna. Through a chance meeting he came across a couple who restore statues. The man, Rindler, is a sculptor and his wife an artist. Georg told them of the funny story regarding one of my grandfather’s statues, a bust of Guido Holzknecht,  which had been improperly restored crediting the work Josephu Sheu who was not a sculptor. They later discussed Georg’s connection to the Josephu family. It turns out that Rindler has been hired to restore one of my grandfather’s works, a statue of St. Francis of Assisi, and that the statue will be returned to its original location.

Part of my research report on this statue was bout how it was moved and appeared to be lost for many, many years...and my failed effort to locate it during my first visit to Vienna.
 
 
After I connected with Georg he told me he knew the piece – it was in an area he’s been many times. So this chapter of the book will have a second happy ending – not only was the statue found, be restored and returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment